Posts for: May, 2018
Are you worried that you may have signs of diabetes? A simple diabetic screening can put your mind at ease. The doctors at Woodridge Clinic in Woodridge, Lombard, and Lemont, IL, offer screenings and help patients diagnosed with the disease manage their symptoms.
How can I tell if I have diabetes?
You may experience one or more of these signs and symptoms if you have diabetes:
- Increased Thirst: If you're suddenly much thirstier than you've ever been, diabetes may be to blame.
- More Trips to the Restroom: Consuming more liquids results in more restroom trips, but you may notice that you spend more time in the bathroom even if you don't drink substantially more than usual. The problem occurs when you produce too much glucose, or blood sugar. Your body removes excess glucose, along with additional fluids, and sends them to your kidneys. The extra glucose is then removed from your body when you urinate.
- Blurry Vision: Fluctuations in blood sugar levels can affect your ability to see clearly.
- Fatigue: Fatigue, in combination with other classic symptoms, may be a sign that you have diabetes.
- Wounds That Don't Heal: High sugar levels can slow healing and make you more prone to developing infections.
What tests are used to screen for diabetes?
If your Woodridge, Lombard, or Lemont doctor, suspects that you have diabetes, he may order one or more of these diabetic screening tests:
- Fasting Blood Sugar Test: You'll avoid eating or drinking anything (other than a little water) for eight hours before your blood is drawn for this test. If your level is 100 or less, you don't have diabetes. A reading of 100 to 125 falls into the pre-diabetes range, while a result of 125 or higher usually means that you have diabetes.
- A1C Test: The A1C blood test is used to determine your average blood sugar levels during the past two to three months. It may be ordered if your fasting blood sugar test shows that you have diabetes or you are at risk for developing the disease. If your level is six or higher, you may have diabetes.
- Initial Glucose Challenge Test: This test is used to determine if pregnant women have gestational diabetes. Blood is drawn after you drink a sugary beverage. Results above 140 may indicate that you have gestational diabetes.
Diabetic screenings can help you protect your health. Schedule an appointment with the doctors at Woodridge Clinic by calling (630) 910-1177 for the Woodridge, IL, office; (630) 620-6225 for the Lombard, IL, office; or (630) 754-8710 for the Lemont, IL, office.
What your doctors in Woodridge, Lemont, and Lombard want you to know
Hearing loss is a common problem, especially as you get older. In fact, the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) estimates hearing impairment affects more than 30% of adults over 65, 14% of people between the ages of 45 and 64, and nearly 8 million people between ages 18 and 44.
That’s why a hearing screening is a vital part of your healthcare regimen. Your doctors at Woodridge Clinic in Woodridge, Lemont, and Lombard, IL want to help.
So, why do you need a hearing screening? Routine hearing screenings continue during preschool and elementary school years, but as you get older, hearing screenings become less frequent.
As an adult, it’s up to you to make sure you have routine hearing screenings. In fact, ASHA recommends you have a hearing screening every 10 years through age 50, and every 3 years after age 50. There are also several signs you may be experiencing hearing loss; these are all good reasons to get a hearing screening or more thorough hearing evaluation.
You may be suffering hearing loss if you experience:
- Hearing muffled sounds and speech
- Frequently asking people to speak slowly and loudly
- Difficulty picking out consonants in individual words
- Difficulty hearing speech if there is a lot of background noise
- A desire to avoid social situations and withdrawing from conversations
For more detailed information about hearing screening, please visit the Hearing Screening page on the Woodridge Clinic website at https://www.woodridgeclinic.com/hearing-screening.html
You deserve to hear the beautiful sounds of life and enjoy conversations with people close to you. Don’t wait until you lose your hearing to schedule a hearing screening. Protect your hearing by calling your doctors at Woodridge Clinic, with offices in Woodridge, Lemont, and Lombard, IL. Call today!