Posts for: October, 2019
The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that smoking kills eight million people annually. Many more experience tobacco-related cancer, COPD, heart disease, periodontal disease and more. Would you like to quit smoking? At Woodridge Clinic, your team of nine physicians helps people stop their tobacco habit. Smoking counseling increases the chances of success.
You want to quit, but how?
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) cites some disturbing statistics: of the 55 percent of American smokers who tried to quit in 2015, only seven percent succeeded. Unfortunately, the nicotine in cigarettes is highly addictive, and the resulting withdrawal symptoms, depression, cravings, mood swings and weight gain from quitting contribute to people returning to their tobacco habits.
Fortunately, the CDC also says that people who receive personal, group, online or telephone smoking counseling experience greater success. At Woodridge Clinic, Dr. Umang Patel and the other doctors agree. So, they are fully equipped to help their patients achieve smoke-free lives.
The Five A's of Smoking Cessation
American Family Physician outlines five steps physicians use to guide their patients through smoking cessation. They include:
- Asking--questioning patients about any tobacco usage past or present
- Advising--telling people they CAN quit to increase the chances of attempting and succeeding
- Assessing--helping patients actually consider quitting and what strategies they may use
- Assisting--providing referrals for behavioral modification groups, medications such as Nicorette or Chantix and strategies for coping with withdrawal symptoms
- Arranging--following through with patients through in-office visits, telephone calls or other means of contact
The physicians at Woodridge Clinic often assist their patients with referral to a wonderful service from the National Cancer Institute. 1-800-QUIT-NOW offers outstanding support to individuals who wish to stop smoking for good. Trained telephone counselors provide real-time support, tips, education on medications and more.
Additionally, the professional team wishes to assure every patient in its care that smoking cessation is part of their overall care plans. Woodridge Clinic is their safe medical home where together, physician and patient meet the challenges of achieving a healthy body and lifestyle.
For more information
Start on your smoking cessation program with a simple call to Woodridge Clinic. We have three convenient locations to serve you: Woodridge, Lombard and Lemont.